BLAUVELT, NY – On Saturday, May 18th, runners and walkers from all of over Rockland County participated in the Sisters of Saint Dominic Fifth Annual Nun Run/Walk 5K.
The annual 5K event, which features a course that starts and finishes at St. Dominic Convent, has become a favorite local race in Orangetown.
Gary Holland of New City was the 2019 Nun Run/Walk 5K overall winner with a time of 18:47. Matt Lenihan of Pearl River finished in second with a time of 19:01 and Dan Citardi of Blauvelt placed third with a time of 20:47.
At the age of 11, Madison Holland of New City was the top female finisher with an impressive time of 23:49. She was followed by 12-year-old Elizabeth Brant of Blauvelt, who finished with a time of 24:08.
Several Sisters, Associates, and staff members from the Sisters of Saint Dominic of Blauvelt and Maryknoll Sisters participated in the 2019 Nun Run/Walk 5K. Sister Rebecca Nyaki, MM, was the first Maryknoll Sister to finish the race with a time of 29:08, while Sister Terry Rickard, OP, finished first for Blauvelt with a time of 33:29.
A special addition to this year’s Nun Run/Walk 5K was the first ever “Walker Dash” where a few Blauvelt Sisters participated in an abbreviated race on the Motherhouse grounds with their walkers.
Walker Dash participants included Sisters Mary Elisha Byles, Molly Dower, Victoria Sloane, and our first ever winner, Sister Beryl Herdt.
2019 Sisters of Saint Dominic Nun Run/Walk 5K Sponsors:
· Race Shirt Sponsors – Beckmann Appraisals, Inc. and Siena House
· Race Bag Sponsor – Maryknoll Sisters
· Race Course Sponsor – Caminez Chiropractic
· Registration Sponsor – Martina Ballerina
· Water Station Sponsor – Crown Trophy
· Mile Marker Sponsor – Retro Fitness Tappan, Loving Memory of Mary T. Maye Holt & Sister Mary McDonagh
· Award Sponsor – In Loving Memory of Sister Cleopha Kelly
· General Sponsor – The Diercksen Family
· Congregational Shirt Sponsor – Sisters Molly Dower, Beryl Herdt, Pat Horan, Pat Howell, Mary McFarland, Gerry Milbert, Victoria Sloane, In Loving Memory of Kitty Riepe, and In Loving Memory of Catherine Poindexter
Over 500 Turkeys Distributed to Families in the Village of Spring Valley for Thanksgiving Day
Over 500 Turkeys Distributed to Families in the Village of Spring Valley for Thanksgiving Day.
“This is the SEASON of GIVING and being THANKFUL! Remember that Thanksgiving is a joyous invitation to shower the world with love and gratitude. When we give cheerfully and accept gratefully, everyone is blessed.” said East Ramapo School Board Member Sabrina Charles Pierre.
Great job by Sabrina Charles-Pierre, Spring Valley Police Department, and all involved.
Sons of Italy Meatball Contest Raises $7,000 for Medical Expenses for Local Family
Assemblyman Lawler and Sheriff Falco presented 2-year old Jhanaè Fairclough and her parents Kirk and Jodi Ann with the proceeds raised from the recent Meatball Contest hosted by the Blauvelt Sons of Italy. Assemblyman Lawler won the contest defeating Sheriff Falco for best meatballs.
The $7,000 will help the family cover some of Jhanaè’s medical expenses.
Our best wishes to the Fairclough family!